City Council Regular Meeting Agenda
November 28, 2011
4:00 p.m. Closed Session – 5:30 p.m. Regular Agenda
INFORMATION ABOUT CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS:
· As a courtesy to others and to avoid interference with the public address system, please refrain from using cell phones in the Council Chambers and please turn off all audible pagers and rings.
4:00 p.m. CALL TO ORDER
TEMPORARY ADJOURNMENT TO CLOSED SESSION
a. CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATORS
. Property: APN 004-105-15. A portion of the property (.7
acre) located north of the railroad tracks, west of City
Parking Lot No. 3
Negotiating parties: Union Pacific Railroad
Under negotiation: Price and terms of payment
b. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54957
Title: City Manager,
5:30 p.m. RECONVENE IN OPEN SESSION
5:31 p.m. ROLL CALL
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
5:32 p.m. INTRODUCTIONS, PROCLAMATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
1. Presentation of the City’s Fall 2011 Outstanding Business Partner Award to Rockwell Printing
PUBLIC INFORMATION REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will report to the City Council regarding various City and/or community events and/or matters of interest. There will be no City Council discussion except to ask questions or refer matters to staff; and no action will be taken unless listed on a subsequent agenda.
5:40 p.m. PRESENTATIONS BY CITIZENS/PUBLIC COMMENT
This is a time for public comments on matters not otherwise on the agenda but within the subject matter jurisdiction of the City Council. The Public Comment period is limited to 15 minutes and divided among those persons desiring to speak. No person shall speak longer than five minutes; however, the Mayor may establish shorter periods based on the time available and/or the number of persons waiting to speak. Persons wishing to speak on a specific item will be recognized at the time the agenda item is considered.
Please be aware that items on the consent calendar are considered to be routine and are normally enacted by one unanimous vote of the Council. If you wish to speak on a consent calendar item, or on a matter scheduled for consideration in a closed session at the end of the agenda, please do so during the Presentations by Citizens/Public Comment portion of the meeting.
The City and the City Council are not responsible for the content of statements made during the public comment period, or the factual accuracy of any such statements.
AGENDA MODIFICATIONS: The City Council may modify the regular agenda by tabling items, adding urgency items to the agenda, or changing the order in which items are considered. Changes to the Consent Calendar are considered at the time the Consent Calendar is considered.
5:55 p.m. CONSENT CALENDAR (to be approved by roll call vote on one motion with all resolutions and ordinances as read by title only). Individual items may be removed and considered separately at the request of a Councilmember. Any item, which is removed from the Consent Calendar, will be added to the end of the agenda under Other Business.
4. Adopt Resolution No. 5349, as read by title only, A Resolution of the City of Carpinteria Approving the Addendum to the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 620 Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) 2011-2012; and Resolution No. 5350, as read by title only, A Resolution of the City Council Approving the Addendum to the Conditions of Employment for the Management and Miscellaneous Personnel, Specifically Modifying the Terms of Retirement Benefits Program in Order to Implement the Cost Sharing Agreement Between the City and Employees
5. Adopt Resolution No. 5347, as read by title only, A Resolution of the City of Carpinteria City Council Approving a Change to the Payment and Reporting Value of the Employer Paid Member Contributions and Repealing Resolution No. 5338; and Resolution No. 5348, as read by title only, A Resolution of the City of Carpinteria City Council Approving Tax Deferral of Member Paid Contributions IRC 414(h)(2) and Repealing Resolution No. 5333
8. Adopt Resolution No. 5351, as read by title only, A Resolution of the City of Carpinteria City Council Consenting to the Transfer of the Cable Television Franchise from CoxCom, LLC, to Cox Communications California, LLC
ADMINISTRATIVE MATTERS: NONE
PUBLIC HEARINGS: NONE
Recommendation: a) Receive and file performance review and financial review of E.J. Harrison and Sons, Inc; and b) Authorize opening Franchise Negotiations with E.J. Harrison and Sons, Inc.
Staff presenter: Erin Maker, Environmental Coordinator
a. Staff Report
b. Public Comment
c. City Council Determination
6:30 p.m. 10. Letter of Support Related to the Santa Barbara County Association of Government’s Request to the California Transportation Commission for $7.5 Million in Funding for Commuter Rail Start-up Costs
Recommendation: Approve for the Mayor’s signature a letter supporting the Santa Barbara County Association of Government’s request for $7.5 Million in bond funding for commuter rail start-up costs.
a. Staff Report
b. Public Comment
c. City Council Determination
6:45 p.m. COMMITTEE REPORTS, INQUIRIES AND OTHER MATTERS PRESENTED BY COUNCILMEMBERS
Informational reports from Councilmember representatives on the committees, commissions and organizations listed below. This is also an opportunity for Councilmembers to request information from staff or seek support from fellow Councilmembers for future agenda items.
1. Representatives to Regional Agencies and Committees
b. Channel Counties Division, League of California Cities
c. Beach Erosion Authority for Clean Oceans and Nourishment
(BEACON) (Reddington/Alt Carty)
e. Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District (APCD)
f. Santa Barbara Regional Task Group on Solid Waste
g. Santa Barbara Joint Housing Task Group (Carty & Reddington)
i. South Coast Task Force on Youth Gangs Leadership and Executive Council (Carty & Clark)
2. Joint and Special Committees
j. City Council/School Board Committee (Stein & Armendariz)
k. City Council/Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
Committee (Carty & Reddington)
l. City Council/Fire District Board Committee (Clark & Armendariz)
3. Ad Hoc Committees
m. Transportation Committee (Armendariz & Stein)
n. Public Facility Site Acquisition/Development Committee
(Carty & Stein)
o. Budget Committee (Stein & Clark)
p. Water District Committee (Reddington & Stein)
4. City Representatives on other Committees
s. Santa Barbara Metropolitan Transit District (Chuck McQuary)
6:50 p.m. ADJOURNMENT
The next regular meeting to be held on Monday, December 12, 2011, at 5:30 P.M., in the Council Chamber, City Hall, 5775 Carpinteria Avenue, Carpinteria, California.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 684-5405, extension 403 or the California Relay Service at (866) 735-2929. Notification 72 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements for accessibility to this meeting.
This agenda was posted on Wednesday, November
23, 2011 in the City Clerk's Office, on the City Hall Public Notices Board, and